Sunday, September 11, 2011

So Much to Celebrate


So, today is September 11, 2011. This marks the 10th anniversary of 9/11, which signifies for Americans a huge loss. No explanation needed. We all remember that day too well. However, for a country in Africa, it is a day for celebration as it marks the Ethiopian New Year. A day of promise and anticipation for the upcoming year. A day that will now forever be a part of our family's traditions.


As if the day didn't hold enough meaning and reason for reflection, for our family it is also a day to remember Grandpa Al. Three years ago today, Grandpa Al "went to see the angels" as my almost 3 year old would say. He left us without warning, yet we still feel him with us. I wish he could have met Piper because my boys have such great memories of him....fishing, taking his teeth out to scare them, falling asleep everywhere and loving being at the lake. Piper arrived in this world just one month after he left it. She knows who Grandpa Al is, but she doesn't have the memories the boys do. I also wish he could have met Amina. He had always wanted a girl granddaughter, and now he has 2! Amina's referral came to us on his birthday, and I believe that he is smiling down on us now as he is watching our family grow.



Here are some pictures of how we spent our day of remembrance and celebration. I'm proud of my husband for not diving into a day of gloom, but honoring his father by being a wonderful father himself. I know that Grandpa Al would be proud.


Rope swing behing our yard specially designed by dad



Yah, I don't think Piper swinging was the best idea, but she stayed on!


Go carting in front of our house which has resulted from a purchase I wasn't too happy about, but the kids love it.




My attempt at Ethiopian cuisine (fried bananas and a potato/pepper dish)
Everyone tried the bananas (with some...okay a lot of coaxing) and actually liked them!




Get me out of this high chair!



The kids got to try some Ethiopian tea. :) This is my favorite and one thing I actually prepare well (although it's not as good as Birtukan's!) Piper and Chase loved it while Reilly gave his away!