
I am still slightly in shock as I write this post, although we received the call that changed our lives two days ago.
To set the scene, April 19th was a gloomy, rainy Tuesday. I had high hopes for the day because at dinner the night before, my family talked about the next day being Grandpa Al's birthday. Now, Grandpa Al never got to meet our sweet, little Piper because he passed away suddenly one month before she was born. He had always wanted a granddaughter, and he never even got to see her gorgeous face. We thought, "Wouldn't it be sweet if we got our referral call on his birthday?" It would be like he was up in heaven helping to pick out the next baby girl for our family.
After about 3 PM, I pretty much figured we wouldn't get the call....but to my dismay, I got a call from Bob at 4:30 PM asking if I'd checked my voice mail. Apparently, he had received a call from our coordinator, but hadn't answered in time. She asked us to call her back. Looking at the time, and knowing the office closed at 5 PM, I frantically hung up the phone and went through my contacts list to find her number. I called...and called... and called...about 4 times within 10 minutes. No answer. The last time I called, I was surprised that she did answer and was loading my kids in the car at my mom's house. Once I got them buckled, I walked away from the car, stood in the rain, and finally heard the words we've been waiting for. "Courtney, we have a referral of a baby girl for you." Those words changed my day, my life, my family.
Although I was crying steadily, I caught most of what our coordinator said. We went straight home to meet Bob, who had already brought the laptop upstairs, and crowded around the computer to see her face for the first time. A happy, smiling face stared back at us! For more reasons than I can explain here, we new immediately she was chosen specifically for us. We can not wait for the day that we can officially call her one of our family. Sweet Baby "A", we're coming for you!!